E&P is facing it’s biggest challenge yet:
Explosive Data Growth
Poor Decision Making
Lack of Data Security
We are working with E&P companies to overcome these biggest information management challenges.
Discover, Analyse and Act on your data for tangible business gains
Project Resource Manager™ provides real insight into your complete data landscape by analysing petrotechnical project data across the whole enterprise.
- Project-aware; recognizes projects/data from multiple vendor applications (Petrel, R5000, Paradigm etc)
- Fast, intuitive access to information across various network disks
- Provides full visibility (metadata) into projects on diverse file systems
- Integrated GIS mapping to visualize project extents
- Report back on both the structured and unstructured world
- Powerful query interface
- Seamless integration with intelligent PARS® archiving tool
- Provides fact-based information to manage your E&P project data more efficiently
- Non-intrusive, cost-effective analysis of disk storage
- Proactive solution addressing challenges with storage and management of E&P project files
- Results in improved petro-technical workflow and application performance
- Visual QC of project location information
Project Archive and Retrieval System™ is an advanced Archiving solution that allows a company to capture project data centrally from multiple applications and file systems into one searchable, manageable, and easily accessible archive location for the indefinite future.
- Project-aware; recognizes projects/data from multiple vendor applications (Petrel, R5000, Paradigm etc)
- Automatically captures and indexes metadata
- Archives projects in a single bundle
- Centrally manages and accesses seismic data
- Supports archive to disk, tape and Cloud
- Simplifies project retrieval and restores
- Free up valuable production storage
- Frees up data administrator’s time
- Cost savings
- Knowledge capture of projects
- Regulatory compliant
- Project referential integrity
- Blend appropriate storage to meet TCO requirements
High Performance archiving
Understand Data in both the Project and File domains
High Performance Archiving is the only managed solution that handles both project and file domain data, bundles the data that is manually or automatically selected into a tar file where it is protected (cannot be adulterated) and sends it to the tier next storage location. This is accomplished very quickly (300MB/s or better) when the solution is running on recommended hardware, allowing for quick tier 1 storage space reclamation when delete after archive is practiced. The files in the archive are automatically indexed for easy search and users can browse the archive to select individual directories/files to restore without having to bring back the entire archive.
- Vendor Neutral – work with any (existing and new) disk and tape storage in the processing center
- Cost Effective – ROI achieved within 1 plus supports automation of the data movement processes
- Easy Search for a desired data set based on path/file index and configurable metadata
- Subset Restore – Easily retrieve a subset of data without having to restore the whole data set
- Supports Disaster recovery– copies of the data to disk or tape
- Secure – supports Secure Access to the data, Server and data movement (job) IO logs
- Retention Policy supporting deletion protection for a defined period including infinity
- Seismic processing is a costly endeavour and profit margins are slim. Tiered storage reduces storage and speed at which the data can be processed and managed
Decision Gate archiving
Cost effective data protection
Many of the world’s energy exploration companies use Interica PARS® to protect their data, however, the policies and procedures vary significantly in when to archive.
Interica can help develop a policy and procedures document related to protecting the valuable data to include the interpretation knowledge it contains. This document should include consideration for the many things (like farm-in or farm-out of interpretation work, staff handover to another person or business unit, moving out of or into an area of interest, corporate acquisition or divestiture, restructuring, compliance policy events) that can happen to the company that might affect the data as well as the day to day processes that affect the data. These data affecting things or events are what can be described as decision gates.
- data protection policies and procedure document that would define the decision gates when an archive is mandatory or recommended
- A proper archiving system encompassing domain knowledge that allows for discovering the project data that exists on production file systems, allowing Data Managers to analyze that information, and act on it. The action in this case would be archive followed by a possible
- The archive description of the data, help prevent project cloning where over time the knowledge about the data sources and scaling information becomes lost.
- Project metadata describes the objects in the project before being transferred. This can be helpful should a future comparison of the interpretations be needed.
- Capturing complete projects for Disaster Recover purposes, including regions of high geopolitical risk where the archive bundle file can be exported to a safe location
Initiatives to migrate data from and to interpretation packages to reduce cost
In the current challenging market conditions, most exploration companies are looking for ways to reduce costs by consolidating applications. Identifying the active data so that it can be targeted for migration to the new application and ensuring that older data is archived in a way that allows it to be retrieved is a difficult task, particularly given the number of applications that have generated the data and the tribal knowledge – that of the interpreters themselves – has often been lost during reorganisation and downsizing.
Interica’s Project Resource Manager (PRM™) is used to analyse live projects, and assist in the identification of duplicates or highly similar projects. This allows the identification of active projects that need to be archived for data protection reasons and then migrated to the desired application. The remainder can be archived with comprehensive metadata for easy search and restore in the future. This substantially reduces the overall effort in the migration while ensuring that all projects remain accessible. PRM™ displays a tabular list of projects and metadata from both the previous application and the consolidation application. When sorting this list based on project name, the migrated projects will appear in pairs while the un-migrated projects will be unique.
- The solution works across a range of applications including Landmark R5000 SeisWorks® & OpenWorks®, Landmark 2003 SeisWorks® & OpenWorks®, Schlumberger Petrel*, IHS Kingdom®, IHS PETRA®, Petrosys™, Schlumberger GeoFrame* and Paradigm® Epos®.
- Scan projects affected migration decisions – eliminate noise
- Bring significant efficiency gains by identifying candidate projects for migration and by helping to track the migration progress. It also ensures that the project data is protected prior to any action on it through archiving it in a secure way such that it can be easily searched and retrieved in the future.
Data Protection in Market Downturn
Discover dark project data, analyze and act on it
Due to recent downturn, projects have been discarded and staff laid off but 100s of TBs of interpretation project data lying dormant on production disk. This data is becoming less known or “darker” by the day. It also has the potential to become corrupt or lost due to many reasons, but summed up in the fact that it can still be accessed in read / write fashion which can impact reserves calculations
The implementation of PRM, PARS®, and IDS have enabled adopting companies to cost effectively discover all the project data on their production file systems, analyze the discovered project metadata to tag projects for action, and finally perform the action.
- Collate Project data across different applications and populate a database with metadata about the projects for analysis. Inactive data can be archived and deleted, freeing up that amount of space and protecting that data in the project domain as opposed to the file system domain.
- Rich metadata includes project name, (modification, access, and create) times for the projects, people who last (modified, accessed, or created) the project, the location[s] of the project data, the bounding coordinates of the project, and the number of 3D surveys, 2D surveys, 2D lines, boreholes, well logs, horizons, and faults in the project at a minimum.
- Typically, a system with 500TB of project data, will have 90% of that data deemed inactive.
- project (potentially containing disparate files from multiple folders and even a database export) can be retrieved more quickly in the same temporal context without having to search for it through the backup copies.
- the project data and corporate interpretation knowledge is protected for audits, 4D evaluations, comparing archived interpretations with those done on newer data/technology, etc.
Protecting Reserve Estimates
Difficult to recreate the situation that existed when the Reserves calculations were made
Reserves are a Company’s most significant asset, yet estimates of Reserves and related future net revenues involve numerous uncertainties and data changes through time as wells are drilled and new data acquired. The solution requires the consistent capture of underlying interpreted data across all constituent businesses. The data needs to be stored in a secure way which allows long term and rapid access to the underlying data along with an immediate understanding and analysis of calculations that led to the current booked position.
- All captured data is content indexed to enable fast search and retrieval when required.
- Multi-level security enables approvers to quality check all submissions before acceptance.
- An audit trail is maintained logging key system and user actions.
- Data is flexibly catalogued i.e. Year, Business Unit, Asset.
- Geo spatial information can be incorporated utilising an ESRI® ArcGIS map.
- Data is secured using existing business processes i.e. by NIS/LDAP groups, business unit or individual users.
- Capture interpretation information from leading E&P applications i.e. Schlumberger Petrel*, IHS Kingdom®, LandMark R5000 etc.
- All data check-summed for long term integrity
PARS® provides for the consistent capture of underlying interpreted data across all constituent businesses within an energy company. In case of audit this can be retrieved rapidly to provide a complete understanding and analysis of current booked position.
Data Management Repository
iAsset™ is an integrated data repository solution specifically designed to intuitively view and manage E&P data.
As an information management solution iAsset™ provides a single-entry point to multiple digital and physical data catalogues. Individual users can tailor the view to their own requirements, reflecting the differing needs of data managers, geoscientists and other stakeholders. A powerful permission suite enables the provision of restricted views to subcontractors, partners and other 3rd parties.
- Easily manage petrotechnical data as well as the more conventional corporate and financial records
- Visualise data assets through the ArcGIS web mapping module
- Full permissions and audit log for data sharing
- Utilises powerful ‘Elastic Search’ technology
- View and manage physical and digital stored exploration data
- Great flexibility for retaining a company’s geoscience and petrotechnical data
- Trusted Leading technology solution -Experience of managing petabytes of data
- Easy to deploy, learn and use
- Reduces valuable time spent searching for data
- Promotes data availability throughout the organisation
- Automates and streamlines order & delivery
- Offers a PPDM-standard or variable data model that allows tailoring to meet clients’ precise requirements